About the Aurora Free Library
Located at 370 Main Street, Aurora, NY, the Aurora Free Library is one of 33 local libraries served by the Finger Lakes Library System . The library is open Mondays from 3 p.m. til 8 p.m., Wednesdays from 10 a.m. til Noon and 3 p.m. til 6 p.m., Fridays from 3 p.m. til 8 p.m, and Saturdays from 10 a.m. til 3 p.m. Patrons may connect to system-wide resources and their patron account online through the library's web portal.
Library Board, Library Committees and Library Staff
The Aurora Free Library is governed by a volunteer Board of Trustees, the Preservation Committee, and the Morgan Opera House Committee; employs two part-time librarians and a library assistant, and traditionally has had the support of many dedicated volunteers.
Each year, the library proudly presents several events and programs at the Aurora Free Library and the Morgan Opera House. Event and program sponsors include the Aurora Free Library, the Aurora Free Library Family Art Series, The Aurora Stage Partnership, the Morgan Opera House, and the Aurora Free Library Preservation Committee.
Designed and built as a community meeting place in 1899, the Tudor Revival building housing the Aurora Free Library was a gift to the Village of Aurora from Louise Morgan Zabriskie. Some of its splendid interior features include ornately carved woodwork, leaded glass windows, and a Victorian theater, the Morgan Opera House, on the second story. The property was donated in 1941 to the Aurora Free Library Board of Trustees. In 1960, the Aurora Free Library joined the Finger Lakes Library System, two years after its inception. In February 1981 it received its first provisional charter from the State Education Department. In December 1996 it received its absolute charter. A complete archive of charter documents are available online.
The building currently houses the library, a basement jail cell that now houses an archives room, and the Opera House, which was dormant for nearly fifty years. In 1989, under the auspices of the Aurora Free Library and with the encouragement of the Aurora community, the restoration of the Opera House was begun.
Over the following five years, the Opera House was restored to its original condition while utilized as the etting for a variety of cultural events each summer. The restoration and renovation efforts include the completion of the following: repair of the Opera House floor, ceiling and walls, installation of a fire alarm system, installation of safety features including hand rails, electrical rewiring, exit lights, emergency lights, a fire door and a newly installed handicap access bathroom on the first floor. Wheelchair access to the Library is via a ramp on the north side of the building along Cherry Avenue. More recently, the Preservation Committee through the "Raise the Roof" campaign raised sufficent funds to replace the roof, and plans are in the works to replace the aging front steps.
Enrichment through literacy, community and learning.
Accuracy, Transparency, Accountability, Confidentiality, Approachability and Quality.
Please review our policies: